WHETHER YOU'RE A SEASONED SKATER OR IF YOU'VE NEVER CONSIDERED YOURSELF AN ATHLETE IN YOUR LIFE, THERE IS ALWAYS A PLACE FOR YOU AT PRD!
PENINSULA ROLLER derby UNIVERSITY: Orientation august 15, 2018. first practice august 22.
If you’ve never skated roller derby before, or have limited experience, PRDU is right for you.
We host two 10-week sessions of PRD University per year. At the end of your 10 weeks with our Training Committee, you will have learned all of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association's (WFTDA) minimum skills and will be invited to join the league as a full time member.
August 15, 2018
7:30pm at the Community Center Tennis Courts in Millbrae
477 Lincoln Cir., Millbrae, CA 94030
WHAT TO EXPECT
PRDU hosts three practice sessions per week. On skates practices are held at the Community Center Tennis Courts in Millbrae on Wednesdays (7:30-9:30pm) and Sundays (5:00-6:00pm), off-skates practices will be held at a neighboring park on Saturday mornings.
- Two on skates practices (Wed 7:30-9:30pm | Sun 5:00-6:00pm)
- One off skates practice & Rules of Derby (Sat 9:30-11:00 am)
HOW TO PREPARE
- Reserve your spot by registering online or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download the orientation packet. This has lots of good info around how to pick out gear and what to expect from your time in PRDU.
- Join the PRG Potentials Facebook Group and start engaging with fellow newbie skaters
- Start getting comfy on wheels. Once you get a pair of skates, you can skate anywhere! You will occasionally see PRD skaters hitting the bay trail for a trail skate, dropping in at skate parks, skating around in freshly paved parking lots, or disco-ing the night away at one Bay Area's roller rinks (though there are not that many around anymore!). If you see women wearing derby pads don't be shy, introduce yourself!
- Pick up your gear. You will need to have all WFDTA required safety gear by the first On Skates practice. This includes: skates, mouth guard, wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads, and a helmet. See details in the Orientation packet for starter skate suggestions.
WFTDA SKILLS INCLUDE:
- Basic Skating: Skating Posture, Strides, Crossovers, T-stops, Plow Stops
- Recovery: Knee taps, knee slides
- Balance and Agility: Wheel Control, Hopping, Weaving, Transitions
- Pack Interactions: Whips, Pushes, Pacing, Dealing with Unexpected Obstacles
- Blocking: Taking Hits, Positional Blocking, Checks